The likelihood of contracting Lyme disease from a tick bite is very small, particularly if the tick is removed from the skin within 24 hours. However, it is possible for other diseases be transmitted more quickly, notes the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection transmitted by a tick. If an infected tick bites, the infection does not transmit the disease-causing bacteria to the host until the tick has had its blood meal, which takes time to happen. The longer the tick is attached, the greater the chances of acquiring the disease, explains the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tick bites are often identifiable by a large, expanding rash surrounding the bite. The symptoms of Lyme disease depend on the stage, but include a lack of energy, headache, stiff neck, pain and weakness in the arms and legs, and numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or back, explains WebMD.