What Kind of Doctor Treats Hemorrhoids?


Quick Answer

Common external hemorrhoids can be treated by a general practitioner or primary care provider. Internal hemorrhoids or persistent hemorrhoids are treated by a physician who specializes in diseases and disorders of the digestive system, known as a gastroenterologist.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Hemorrhoids are veins in the rectum or anus that become inflamed, swollen and irritated. A primary care provider can usually diagnose external hemorrhoids by visual exam, but internal hemorrhoids may require the use of a diagnostic scoping procedure, such as a colonoscopy. Dietary changes are recommended initially to help prevent constipation. Medicated creams or suppositories may be prescribed. Several procedures are available for internal hemorrhoids, including rubber-band ligation, shrinkage by laser or injection, and surgical removal or stapling.

Learn more about Skin Conditions

Related Questions