What Kind of Doctor Do You See for a Pinched Nerve in Your Back?


Quick Answer

See a general practitioner, or GP, at the onset of a pinched nerve, which occurs when an increase of pressure causes trauma to a peripheral nerve. A GP sometimes refers the patient to a specialist if the damage found is extensive.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The type of specialist required depends on the location and cause of the nerve damage. The most common specialists include an orthopedic doctor if the damage stems from injury to muscle or bone; a neurologist or neurosurgeon if the damage is in the brain, spinal column, or spinal cord; or a rheumatologist if the damage is due to non-infectious inflammatory conditions of the bones or joints.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions