Q:

Is hepatitis B curable?

A:

Quick Answer

Most people who contract hepatitis B recover completely, according to the Hepatitis B Foundation. However, there is no cure for those who develop chronic hepatitis B or have an active infection lasting longer than six months.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Those who recover are not at risk for contracting the virus again and are not contagious. Individuals with chronic hepatitis B are able to transmit the disease to others through unprotected sex, sharing needles, or through open sores or blood, notes WebMD. Doctors prescribe medications such as Intron A, Hepsera or Epivir-HBV, which slow the progression of the disease.

Approximately 90 percent of adults are able to fight the infection, explains the Hepatitis B Foundation. The remaining 10 percent develop chronic hepatitis B. Young children and infants are more likely to develop chronic hepatitis B.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions

Explore