Inhaling kerosene causes very dangerous side effects including serious and permanent damage to the lungs, according to MedlinePlus. Damage to the body from kerosene can occur for months after the exposure and eventually cause death. The faster treatment occurs, the better the outcome.
If a person breathes in too much kerosene, it is important to get fresh air as soon as possible, explains MedlinePlus. Symptoms of breathing in kerosene include difficulty breathing and throat swelling. Other symptoms from kerosene include pain, loss of vision, low blood pressure, convulsions and dizziness. Drowsiness, headache, seizures, a drunk feeling and loss of alertness may also occur. Poison control can help people with immediate treatment, though a person should also go to the hospital for treatment as soon as possible.
If possible, people should take the kerosene container to the hospital, states MedlinePlus. Doctors should monitor the individual's vital signs and treat the symptoms the patient is experiencing. The person may require breathing assistance through a ventilator, which is a tube that goes through the mouth and into the lungs. The doctor may also perform a bronchoscopy, which is a camera that goes into the throat to look for chemical burns in the airway and lungs. A chest X-ray and EKG usually also occur.