Q:

What happens if a person inhales the fumes from rubbing alcohol?

A:

Quick Answer

Excessive exposure to isopropyl alcohol, also called rubbing alcohol, through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact may result in poisoning, according to MDGuidelines. Symptoms of exposure include headache, nausea, dizziness and vomiting. An individual who has inhaled significant amounts of isopropyl alcohol may also experience irritated skin, eyes, nose or throat.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Isopropyl alcohol, or IPA, poisoning results from failure of the liver to handle the amount of alcohol in the body, explains Healthline. IPA quickly causes intoxication, as the body can manage only small amounts of IPA. Around 30 percent of IPA is usually discharged unchanged through the kidneys, whereas the remaining 70 percent turns into acetone and leaves the body through the lungs or kidneys.

Symptoms of IPA poisoning may occur immediately or may appear hours later, says Healthline. It can lead to confusion and extreme pain. Severe symptoms include difficulty in breathing, coma and severe gastritis.

Treatment of IPA poisoning includes hemodialysis, dialysis, oxygen therapy or fluid replacement, states Healthline. It is essential to provide detailed information about the occurrence of the poisoning to allow doctors to choose the most effective treatment. Individuals who suspect IPA poisoning should not induce vomiting to avoid damaging the esophagus. Immediate medical attention is critical to treat poisoning. It is also important to bring the container to the hospital if the individual knows the source of the poisoning.

Learn more about Pain & Symptoms

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some symptoms of mercury poisoning in adults?

    A:

    Symptoms of mercury poisoning vary depending on the type of mercury exposure, according to eMedicineHealth. Symptoms of elemental mercury poisoning include impaired cognitive functioning, muscle atrophy and weakness, mood swings, tremors and insomnia. Symptoms of organic mercury poisoning include loss of coordination, speech and hearing impairments, peripheral vision impairment, and stinging sensations in the mouth and extremities. Inorganic mercury poisoning symptoms include memory loss, mood swings, skin rashes, muscle weakness and bloody diarrhea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can paint fumes make you sick?

    A:

    Paint fumes can cause a wide variety of short-term and chronic ill effects on a person's health. The severity of the health concern depends on the length of exposure to the fumes as well as the degree of exposure.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes a swollen tongue on one side?

    A:

    A swollen or partially swollen tongue can be caused by an allergic reaction to food or medications; bacterial infections; viral infections such as oral herpes; systemic iron deficiency; or exposure to irritants such as spicy foods and alcohol, according to Healthline. Other causes include dry mouth, burns and cuts.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are some of the causes and symptoms of hypoxic brain injury?

    A:

    Hypoxic brain injuries occur when inadequate oxygen reaches the brain due to conditions such as smoke inhalation, carbon monoxide poisoning or strangulation. Symptoms may include poor judgment, uncoordinated movement, coma and an inability to breathe. The symptoms vary depending on the length of time without oxygen, according to MedlinePlus.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore