Good slow cooker recipes for diabetics include Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, White Chili, Lamb Pot Roast and Chicken, notes Reader's Digest and Diabetic Living. Many meat-based slow cooker dishes are good because they are low in carbs while dishes with beans add slow-to-digest complex carbohydrates that keep blood sugars even.
Diabetic-friendly slow cooker recipes provide easy meals with leftovers to reheat later. These dishes can be mostly be set up and left alone to cook during the day, states Diabetic Living.
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - Hearty and filling, this recipe browns flour for the roux without adding fat and uses low-sodium chicken broth.
- Pot Roast - A very traditional pot roast, but made in a slow cooker. This recipe uses Dijon mustard, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and Portobello mushrooms.
- Chicken Cacciatore - The chicken used in this dish is browned slightly in the frying pan with some flour, but has lots of healthy onions, green bell peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes, too.
- Burgundy Lamb Shanks - These lamb shanks make a hearty dish for special occasions without the effort. Slow cooking in a rich Burgundy wine and seasonings gives these shanks lots of flavor.
- White Chili - A healthy alternative to beef chili, this slow cooker recipe uses chicken and cannelloni beans.
- Zesty Sloppy Joes - This recipe uses spicy tomato juice and jalapeno peppers to heat things up a bit.