The effects of a centipede bite vary by species and how sensitive the bitten person is to the venom. Technically, centipedes do not bite. Instead, they deliver venom through two modified legs that have hypodermic injectors at their tips, according to DesertUSA.com.
Centipede stings are rarely, if ever, fatal. They can be extremely painful, however, and the primary danger of exposure to centipede venom is in a severe allergic reaction that leads to anaphylactic shock. At the site of the sting, victims are usually left with two small puncture wounds and a swollen red area that subsides within 48 hours, according to the National Institutes of Health. Symptoms of an allergic reaction, especially difficulty breathing, require immediate medical attention.