Are There Doctors Who Specialize in Pain Management?


Quick Answer

There are doctors who specialize in pain management, according to WebMD and Everyday Health. Most often, pain specialists are anesthesiologists, neurosurgeons and neurologists. Psychiatrists and physiatrists may also work in the pain management field.

Continue Reading
Are There Doctors Who Specialize in Pain Management?
Credit: Hero Images Hero Images Getty Images

Full Answer

A pain specialist most often works with patients who have chronic pain, notes Everyday Health. Chronic pain is pain that is continuous, sometimes lasting for months or years. Chronic pain may occur as a result of many conditions such as cancer, arthritis or shingles. It may also occur when there is no obvious evidence of an illness or injury. Pain specialists prescribe oral medications, trigger point injections and nerve blocks. Sometimes patients need implanted pain pumps or simulators.

Learn more about Pain & Symptoms
Related Videos

Related Questions