What Doctor Treats a Woman During Pregnancy?


Quick Answer

An obstetrician specializes in the treatment of women during pregnancy. Some family practitioners receive extra training in obstetrics and provide care for women during low-risk pregnancies. Perinatologists specialize in maternal-fetal medicine and provide care for women during high-risk pregnancies, according to Healthline.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

An obstetrician/gynecologist, known as an OB/GYN, undergoes four years of advanced training in obstetrics and gynecology and requires board certification to practice, explains Healthline. Family practitioners often care for women through uncomplicated pregnancies and refer patients to an OB/GYN if the need arises. Most American woman seek the services of an OB/GYN for their deliveries. A perinatologist is an OB/GYN who completes two extra years of study in the field of complicated pregnancies.

Learn more about Medications & Vitamins

Related Questions