How Do You Find a Doctor Specializing in Treating the Colon?


Quick Answer

To find a doctor specializing in treating the colon, start by seeking recommendations from your primary physician, suggests WebMD. Other options include contacting a specialized treatment center in the area, searching local hospital websites and consulting national medical organizations, such as the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Gastroenterologists specialize in treating diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including the colon, notes the American College of Gastroenterology. Patients can use the physician search feature on the organization's website to locate member doctors by city, state or ZIP code. Patients can contact the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery, which certifies physicians who specialize in colon surgery, notes the Board. A national list of colon surgeons that treat lower digestive tract diseases is available at Health.USNews.com, according to U.S. News.

Learn more about Gastrointestinal Issues

Related Questions