Q:

What are the dangers of a vitamin D overdose?

A:

Quick Answer

The primary effect of vitamin D toxicity is an aggregation of calcium in the bloodstream. This leads to vomiting, nausea and limited appetite, as well as weakness, kidney issues and frequent need to urinate, according to Mayo Clinic.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Vitamin D toxicity typically occurs as a result of excessive consumption of vitamin D supplements, as stated by Mayo Clinic. The human body controls the amount of vitamin D that solar exposure produces, and foods that contain high levels of vitamin D generally do not have enough to lead to toxicity. Supplementation of amounts up to 50,000 IU (international units) of vitamin D each day for weeks or months has led to vitamin D toxicity. The recommended daily allowance for vitamin D for the majority of adults is 600 IU. Patients suffering from vitamin D deficiency often receive supplements at extremely high doses, but this regimen is not intended to last long and should only take place under a doctor's supervision.

People who already have kidney or liver conditions or take diuretics may develop vitamin D toxicity at a lower level of supplementation. Before beginning any sort of mineral or vitamin supplements, it is always wise to talk with a physician, according to Mayo Clinic.

Learn more about Vitamins & Supplements
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore