Although erythritol is generally safe to use for most people, one concern is that it may cause upset stomachs when too much of this sweetener is consumed, reports the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Another concern is that this substance may lead to an allergic reaction in some people.Continue Reading
It is important to note that allergic reactions are rare, and there are only three reported cases of people who have experienced allergic reactions to erythritol, according to PubMed. Erythritol is a natural sugar that is sometimes used as an additive in food or certain drugs.
This substance is categorized as a sugar alcohol that is useful as a substitute for regular sugar. It is found in small quantities in some fruits such as pears and grapes. However, the product is manufactured through a process that ferments glucose with yeast, and then a fruit extract may be added to this fermented product, states the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Although erythritol tastes like sugar, there are very little calories in it.
This product has certain advantages, such as its low calorie content, and it may be safe for people with diabetes as a sugar substitute. However, a disadvantage is that it can cause gastrointestinal problems if too much of it is ingested. For example, it can cause nausea if more than 50 grams are ingested per day. Similarly, it can have a laxative effect in some people, reports the American Diabetes Association.Learn more about Medications & Vitamins