Q:

Is it dangerous to eat too much tuna?

A:

Quick Answer

Consuming excessive amounts of tuna can lead to mercury poisoning. High amounts of mercury can damage the brain and nervous system, particularly in children and pregnant women.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Canned tuna is one of the most popular seafoods in the United States, second only to shrimp, says Consumer Reports. Approximately 37 percent of dietary mercury exposure can be attributed to canned tuna. Canned albacore accounts for an estimated 20 percent of this. Albacore tuna contains higher amounts of mercury and should be consumed less than other canned tuna. Light tuna can be eaten more frequently. The Food and Drug Administration recommends eating no more than 13 ounces of light tuna per week.

Learn more about Nutritional Amounts & Limits

Related Questions

Explore