MMS, advertised as the miracle mineral supplement, contains distilled water and 28 percent sodium chlorite, an active ingredient in disinfectants, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In July and October 2010, the FDA warned consumers not to drink the product, which becomes a bleach when prepared as directed.
When consumers follow the MMS product directions to mix the sodium chlorite with lemon or lime juice or another citric acid, chlorine dioxide is the result, explains the FDA. Industrial uses for sodium chlorite and chlorine dioxide include bleaching and disinfecting. Drinking the mixture, also known as the Miracle Mineral Solution, produces nausea, severe vomiting, dehydration and potentially deadly low blood pressure. As of 2015, the FDA has no evidence that MMS can treat any sickness or disease.