Q:

Can you use ex-lax to lose weight?

A:

Quick Answer

While extreme doses of ex-lax or any laxative may result in weight loss, it is extremely dangerous to do so, according to Psych Central. The weight loss results from starvation by preventing the absorption of any nutrients from consumed food. Use of laxatives for weight loss is classified as bulimia.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Psych Central defines bulimia as any method for purging the body of consumed food. Roughly 70 percent of bulimics induce vomiting, while the remaining 30 percent use laxatives. Either method of elimination puts undue stress on the body, resulting in potentially life-threatening gastrointestinal issues. The laxatives themselves do not cause the weight loss as much as they act to starve the body of nutrients and calories artificially.

Psych Central advises that if one wishes to lose extra weight or maintain a safe body weight, it is best to consult a licensed doctor or nutritionist. Anyone who finds herself resorting to excessive calorie restriction or binge-and-purge techniques to lose or maintain weight must understand that this is very dangerous, even life-threatening. A consultation with a doctor, a nutritionist or a psychiatrist specializing in eating disorders needs to be set up as soon as possible. At the very least, the person needs to discuss the matter with a friend, her parents or someone else who can in turn assist her finding proper help.

Learn more about Fitness & Exercise
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How can you lose weight despite eating unhealthy cafeteria food?

    A:

    According to WebMD, weight loss occurs as a result of simple math. As long as more calories are burned than are consumed over a sustained period of time, a person will lose weight. Eating cafeteria food doesn't necessarily prevent a person from losing weight.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do you lose weight while sleeping?

    A:

    To lose weight while sleeping, Eat protein before you go to bed to boost your metabolism. Turn the thermostat down to burn more belly fat, and eliminate light from the room to help you get a deeper sleep.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How can I lose weight really fast?

    A:

    If you're trying to lose weight quickly, follow a diet and exercise program with the aim of losing 1 to 2 pounds per week by burning 500 calories more per day than you consume. Such a diet involves replacing high-calorie food with lower-calorie alternatives and increasing your daily activity. According to the Mayo Clinic, losing more than 1 to 2 pounds per week is dangerous.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How long does it take to lose weight?

    A:

    After the initial weight loss associated with beginning a healthier lifestyle, a rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week is safe for most people. The exact time required to lose weight to reach a goal depends on several factors, including the number of pounds the person wants to lose. Maintaining this weight-loss rate leads to a 50- to 100-pound weight loss within a year.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore