Where Can You Get Treatment for Aortic Vascular Calcification?


Quick Answer

The calcification of the aortic valves is usually treated by a cardiologist. Aortic vascular calcification has a wide range of etiological treatments depending on the severity of the condition, according to MedicineNet. These treatments can range from simple lifestyle changes to surgery, based on the progression of the disease.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Mild aortic calcification may call for lifestyle changes, but progressive calcification may require the administration of blood thinners. Untreated aortic vascular calcification can progress to severe aortic vascular stenosis, a condition where the narrowing of the valve requires valve replacement surgery by a cardiac surgeon, as reported by Mayo Clinic. This surgery replaces the aortic valve with bioprostheses from cows or pigs, or more durable mechanical prostheses, according to MedicineNet. A mechanical prosthesis can last up to 40 years but, unlike a bioprosthesis, requires regular administration of anticoagulants for the rest of the patient's life.

Aortic vascular calcification is a condition that has several causes, such as the gradual deposition of calcium from the destroyed collagen, damage or scarring due to childhood rheumatic fever, and natural wear and tear of the valve. The calcification of the aortic valve can reduce blood flow through the valve. As a result, the patient may develop symptoms such as fainting, shortness of breath, dizziness, heart palpitations and pain in the chest, as reported by WebMD.

Learn more about Cardiac Health

Related Questions