Where Can Someone Go for Fallen Bladder Treatment?


Quick Answer

Individuals with a serious case of fallen bladder may go to a gynecologist, urologist or urogynecologist for a surgical procedure, according to Cleveland Clinic. Mild cases of fallen bladder usually do not require treatment, while moderate cases may call for the use of a pessary.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

A fallen bladder is also known as a cystocele. The condition occurs when the weakening of the wall between the bladder and the vagina causes the bladder to sag into the vagina, as Cleveland Clinic explains. This may feel uncomfortable, and it can result in urination problems.

A woman with fallen bladder should avoid heavy lifting or straining so as not to increase the severity of her condition, according to the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. For a woman with more troublesome symptoms, a doctor may suggest the use of a vaginal pessary, a silicone device that a woman places in her vagina to help reinforce the vaginal wall and secure the position of the bladder. The doctor may also recommend that the woman participate in Kegel exercises to create stronger pelvic floor muscles, which can help provide support for her bladder.

Surgery for a severe case of fallen bladder involves sewing together and tightening the tissues in the area between the vagina and bladder, as the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse describes. It may take up to six weeks to fully recover from the operation.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases

Related Questions