Where Can You Report a Bad Dentist?

The American Dental Association recommends contacting the state dental association or society to report any major problems with a dentist. Filing a complaint with the state agency responsible for dental licensing is also an option.

Dental associations and societies typically have a peer review process designed to address complaints by patients. This process is helpful for resolving issues relating to the need for certain dental services or the fees charged for those services. If a patient has a serious concern about the competence or ethics of a particular dentist, a complaint should be made to the state licensing body. Some states have boards specifically for dental licensing, while others have agencies responsible for granting licenses to several types of medical professionals.