Although eating a significant amount of toothpaste is harmful, fever isn't one of the common symptoms noted by The New York Times. Convulsions, diarrhea, a salty taste in the mouth and difficulty breathing are among the symptoms people may experience.
Health concerns from eating toothpaste stem from two poisonous ingredients: sodium fluoride and triclosan, reports The New York Times. Drooling, vomiting and overall feelings of weakness are other moderate symptoms. Some more serious effects include stomach pains, intestinal blockage, heart attack, shock and a slow heart rate. Drinking water or milk and calling the poison control center are measures to take after a person ingests a lot of toothpaste. Drinking when swallowing problems are present is not advised.