Magnesium sulfate, also known as Epsom salts, is approved for use as a laxative according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Magnesium and sulfur are necessary nutrients for the body but should be used judiciously. Overuse of Epsom salts taken internally can interfere with some medications, disrupt some bodily functions and cause dehydration.
Epsom salts can interfere with certain medications, such as antibiotics and diuretics. Internal digestion of Epsom salts can also cause reactions with diabetes, blood pressure and heart medications. It should not be taken by people with heart or kidney disease, except on the advice of a doctor.
Those who abuse Epsom salts for laxative use may suffer from a magnesium overdose. The most common side effects include diarrhea and stomach pain. There are many possible symptoms of severe magnesium overdose:
- Severe low blood pressure
- Respiratory paralysis
- Cardiac arrythmias
- Cardiac arrest
- Possible death