How Do You Apply for Low-Income Senior Housing?


Quick Answer

Seniors seeking low-income housing solutions can make an appointment with a local housing counselor approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Counselors help seniors through the application process and explain what forms and documents are required for senior housing eligibility. Local public housing agencies offer HUD-funded programs offering living assistance in public housing, multifamily subsidized housing and a housing vouchers program.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

In general, seniors are able to apply for any HUD low-income housing assistance program available to low-income individuals and families. Public housing is available in many communities, and older persons can live in public housing apartments, duplexes or single-family homes. Public housing tenants pay a percentage of monthly income for rent, and HUD covers the rest. A HUD rental assistance program for people with disabilities requires seniors to be physically, emotionally or mentally disabled and subsisting on a very low income.

HUD housing vouchers are available in some communities, and seniors can apply for tenant-based or project-based vouchers by visiting a local public housing agency. Some communities are beneficiaries of HUD grants set aside to help low-income seniors live independently. The assisted living grant program provides funds for the creation of subsidized senior housing units. Seniors living in these units have access to personal care services, meals, transportation and special activities that appeal to seniors.

Learn more about Older Adults

Related Questions