Alcohol poisoning is an excessive amount of alcohol in the blood that results from overconsumption of alcohol within a short time period, according to Medical News Today. It is a serious condition that requires immediate medical attention.
Alcohol poisoning mainly occurs as a result of binge drinking, which involves consuming a fatal dose of alcohol, explains Medical News Today. Because the liver does not have the ability to process extra alcohol, the excess alcohol remains unprocessed, accumulating in the blood to toxic levels. Possible signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning include a drop in body temperature, confusion, arrhythmia, vomiting and skin paleness.