Q:

How do you administer first aid for poisoning?

A:

Quick Answer

The appropriate first aid for poisoning varies by the type of poison and can include clearing out the mouth, flushing the eyes or skin, and exposing the victim to fresh air, according to Mayo Clinic. Do not attempt to induce vomiting. Consult the chemical’s packaging for appropriate first aid instructions, or call poison control at 800-222-1222, as of 2015. Factors that affect appropriate treatment include the individual’s age and symptoms, and the amount and type of poisonous substance.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Call 911 or your local emergency services if you or someone else experiences symptoms such as drowsiness, loss of consciousness, breathing problems, restlessness or seizures due to exposure to poison or overdosing, states Mayo Clinic. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation may be necessary if the individual stops breathing. Other symptoms of poisoning include inflammation of the mouth and lips, chemical smells on the breath, vomiting and confusion.

Children are at risk of poisoning at lower dosages than adults, explains Mayo Clinic. If you are not certain if a child has ingested poison, look for empty packaging, spilled substances and burns on the floor or furniture. Thoroughly inspect a child’s skin and the roof of the mouth if you suspect that the poisoning is due to adhesive medicated patches. For victims of all ages who require professional attention, collect any substances and their containers to assist health care providers with diagnosis and treatment.

Learn more about Conditions & Diseases
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore