What Are Some Ways to Report a Stolen Social Security Card?


Quick Answer

If a thief takes a wallet, purse or other personal property containing a Social Security card, the victim must report the theft to her local police department. If someone uses the Social Security number for fraudulent purposes, the victim should contact the Federal Trade Commission.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The Social Security Administration cannot investigate cases of property or identity theft, but it issues replacement Social Security cards after the theft. It takes reports by phone, online or at a local branch office. People can only apply for replacement cards in person or by mail and must send or take applications and all required documents to branch offices.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions