How Do You Get Utility Assistance From LIHEAP?


Quick Answer

Low-income individuals and families can get utility assistance from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) by completing an application and returning it to a service center. They also have to provide some supporting documents.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

A low-income individual or household can submit a completed LIHEAP application to a service center to get utility assistance. In addition, the applicant must supply the original and a photocopy of his energy bill, plus a copy of all household members’ Social Security cards and identification.

Every member of the household must provide a copy of proof of income for the prior month. Acceptable proof of income includes pay stubs and current income tax returns. Applicants can also use income award letters such as child support/alimony, pension and Supplemental Security Income as proof of income. Applicants should be prepared to provide proof of assistance from food stamps, a weatherization assistance program and/or a community service block grant program.

To be eligible, applicants must demonstrate that an adult who lives at the address is responsible for covering the cost of heating incurred at the current residence. Applicants also have to show a recent history of payments made toward the purchase of the heating energy.

LIHEAP’s regular energy assistance provides a credit payment to eligible participants. This credit applies to the eligible applicants’ existing utility accounts. This crisis energy assistance helps eligible households combat energy crises. Weather-related crisis programs assist eligible applicants with energy emergencies during specific weather-related disasters.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions