The frame of the USS Saratoga CV-60 was first placed at the New York Naval Shipyard on Dec. 16, 1952 and was officially commissioned as part of the U.S. Navy on April 14, 1956. The USS Saratoga was named after both the Battle of Saratoga and the USS Saratoga CV-3.
The USS Saratoga was one of four aircraft supercarriers in the Forrestal class. The vessel saw service at multiple theatres of war, with most of its career predominantly spent in the Mediterranean. The USS Saratoga actively participated in both the Vietnam War and in Operation Desert Storm. The vessel was decommissioned on Aug. 20, 1994.