What Type of Office Distributes Food Stamps?

Though the term "food stamps" is still in common usage in 2014, the program that previously issued food stamps is called the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. SNAP is financed at the federal level by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by each state.

As of 2014, paper stamps are being replaced by debit cards that can be used at stores that sell food. The USDA maintains a list of hotlines for each individual state's SNAP program. SNAP's slogan is, "Putting healthy food within reach." The name was changed from food stamps to reflect the program's objectives more accurately. Benefits provided under the previous program and SNAP are identical in value. The name of the program was changed in 2008.