What Type of Government Educational Grants Are Available for Single Moms?

Educational grants that are available specifically for single mothers are from private organizations. Federal grants are need-based, and single mothers may qualify for them based on household size and income, says Open Education Database.

Single mothers should start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to see if they are eligible for government-subsidized grants such as the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant and Pell Grant, states Open Education Database. They should then apply separately for private grants given by organizations such as Soroptimist International of Washington, D.C. and The Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation. No matter the source, grants do not need to be repaid.