What Are Some Tips for Reporting Employment Insurance to Service Canada?


Quick Answer

Canadians who receive employment insurance must regularly file reports to Service Canada. Before filing reports, people should have several pieces of information available to ensure accuracy including exact information pertaining to work hours, dates of any training or schooling and details about any money received during reporting periods. False reporting is considered fraud and punishable by law.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Claimants should file reports promptly to ensure fast payment of benefits. People who have any questions should call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218. Service Canada business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Employment Insurance is a social program in Canada that provides benefits to people who lose employment through no fault of their own. This includes people who lose jobs due to shortage of work or corporate restructuring. Eligible recipients include people who have the necessary number of insurable hours and are willing and able to work. The government also provides programs for people who cannot work due to sickness or pregnancy.

Employment Insurance is funded by workers and employers. As of 2015, workers pay 1.88% of insured earnings and employers contribute 1.4 times the amount of employee premiums. The Canadian government manages the fund but does not contribute any additional funding.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions