How Do You Do a Social Security Name Change?

How Do You Do a Social Security Name Change?

To change the name on your Social Security card, fill out an application, provide documentation, and take or mail the paperwork to your local Social Security office. If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce or another reason, you must change your Social Security record so your name matches your Social Security number, which does not change. There is no cost, and you typically receive your new card within two weeks.

  1. Fill out an application

    Download the one-page application from the official Social Security website, or pick up one at your local Social Security office. Completely fill out the application.

  2. Provide the appropriate documentation

    Provide an original or certified copy of a recently issued document as proof of your name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order. Photocopies or notarized copies are not acceptable. If the document doesn't give enough information to identify you, or if you changed your name more than two years ago (four years ago if you are younger than 18), you may have to show proof of identity under your prior name. Acceptable documents include a U.S. driver's license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport. Expired identity documents are acceptable.

  3. Submit your application

    Submit your application and documentation by mail or in person at a local Social Security office. You cannot apply online. Your new card is mailed to you within two weeks of when your application is received.