What Is Social Security Form SSA-1099/1042S?

Social Security Forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are tax forms that the Social Security Administration sends out every year for beneficiaries to use in filing federal tax returns, reports the SSA. Those who lose them or don't receive the forms by mail can obtain them online or by contacting Social Security.

The SSA sends Form SSA-1099 to U.S. citizens and Form SSA-1042S to nonresident aliens, explains the SSA. The forms show the total amount of payments beneficiaries receive. Those receiving Social Security benefits use the forms to find out if any benefit payments are taxable, states the Internal Revenue Service. Generally, if Social Security benefits are the only income individuals receive, they do not have to pay taxes or file a tax return, but if they have other sources of income, they have to file a return even if they do not owe taxes on their Social Security benefits.

Those who receive Social Security benefits and live in the United States can get Forms SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S by creating a My Social Security account at SSA.gov, advises the SSA. They can then log into their accounts, click on the Replace Documents tab, and obtain a replacement form. Alternatively, those who need Forms SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S can phone Social Security or contact a local Social Security office.