What Should You Do If You're Not Receiving Your Child Support Payments?

should-re-receiving-child-support-payments Credit: LWA/Dann Tardif/Blend Images/Getty Images

A custodial parent not receiving child support payments should contact the local child support office where the case resides or file a petition in the courts for enforcement, according to FindLaw. The Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984 allows district attorneys to collect payments on behalf of the children.

Custodial parents can request a hearing to determine how arrearages and future payments can be secured, as stated by FindLaw.

An ex-spouse or parent who has violated a child support order and refuses to make timely parents can be subject to seized property, garnished wages or withholding of tax refunds to repay child support in arrears, per FindLaw. In addition, some states authorize a suspension of the delinquent parent's driver's license, business license or occupational licenses until arrearages are paid in full. In extreme cases, a judge may also order jail time or a denial of a passport issuance if payment arrangements are not secured.

Delinquent payers who have relocated to another state can still be prosecuted or ordered to pay child support payments in accordance with the Child Support Recovery Act of 1992 and the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998, as reported by FindLaw. This legislation makes it a federal crime for parents living in another state to refuse to pay child support.