Is Section 8 Transferable?


Quick Answer

If certain eligibility and procedural requirements are met, then a household receiving a tenant-based Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher can transfer the voucher to a new home, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The voucher is transferable to anywhere that has a public housing authority.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To transfer the Section 8 voucher, the recipient must consult with the public housing authority that issued the voucher, notes the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Moves are permissible and transfer of the housing assistance is allowed provided the household notifies the public housing authority in advance, complies with its current lease provisions regarding termination of the lease and finds alternate housing that is acceptable under Section 8 guidelines. Acceptable housing must be of an appropriate size for the family and have rent within an allowable range according to the family's income and voucher value.

The public housing authority can impose restrictions on the voucher-holder within the first 12 months of housing assistance using the voucher, explains the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. A typical restriction is a requirement to initially lease a unit within the issuing agency's jurisdiction for the first 12 months. After the year, the voucher-holder can transfer the voucher to another apartment or property within the current jurisdiction of the public housing authority, or the household can relocate to another city or state.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions