How Do You Search Free Records for a Deceased Person?


Quick Answer

Free records for a deceased person who died before 1998, including abstracts of indexed death records, are available from FamilySearch.org. Death records can also be accessed through the Vital Records office in the state where the person died.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

On the FamilySearch search page, enter the deceased ancestor’s name, life events, relationships and additional restrictions as accurately as possible.

Order death certificates containing death record information from the County Register and Recorder offices or the Vital Records office of the Department of Public Heath in the state or county where the person died. When ordering death certificates through the County Register and Recorder offices, orders may be faster and less costly than ordering from the state. When ordering through the Vital Records office, processing and delivery can be expedited with VitalChek but may be more costly than ordering from the county.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions