What Are the Requirements for a CR1 Spousal Visa?


Quick Answer

To receive a CR1, or conditional residence, visa, an individual must be a legally wedded husband or wife, explains the U.S. Department of State. Conditional residence visas are for foreign citizen spouses who have been married less than two years. To obtain a CR1 visa, the applicant's spouse must file a petition, pay necessary fees, and submit required documentation. The applicant undergoes an interview and receives a medical examination before obtaining a visa.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

An individual with a conditional residence visa must apply jointly with his spouse to remove the conditional status, notes the U.S. Department of State. They must make this application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services department within 90 days before the two-year anniversary of the spouse's arrival in the United States. This date is the same date that appears as the expiration date on the spouse's green card.

An individual wishing to obtain a CR1 visa must have his spouse file a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130. The petitioner must maintain the principle residence in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of State. Once the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services department approves the petition, it goes to the National Visa Center for further processing. At this point the applicant completes the Choice of Address and Agent form and pays required fees.

After paying the fees, an applicant needs to submit other required documentation, including a passport, civil documents, photographs and an Affidavit of Support, reports the U.S. Department of State. The applicant must also have a panel physician complete a medical examination, and he must receive any required vaccinations. When the applicant's file is complete, the National Visa Center transfers the file to the U.S. embassy or consulate, where the applicant completes his visa interview.

Learn more about Immigration

Related Questions