How Do You Request a Veteran's Certificate of Eligibility?


Quick Answer

Veterans can request a Certificate of Eligibility for the purpose of qualifying for a Veterans Administration home loan by filing VA Form 26-1880, Request for Certificate of Eligibility, or by requesting a certificate online through the eBenefits portal, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans can also apply through their lenders.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The VA requires borrowers have a valid Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a VA-guaranteed home loan. Both veterans and their surviving spouses can request these certificates, and most lenders can request certificates on behalf of borrowers using the Web LGY system, explains the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Surviving spouses who are eligible for a Certificate of Eligibility file VA form 26-1817 or VA form 21-534, depending on whether the spouse is a Dependency & Indemnity Compensation benefits recipient.

Veterans who were not dishonorably discharged, are active duty military members or a member of the National Guard are eligible to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility, states the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The terms of service needed to qualify for a Certificate of Eligibility vary by the era of service and are stated on the VA website. To demonstrate eligibility, a veteran must submit his DD Form 214 with his application for a Certificate of Eligibility. Active duty servicemen and members of the National Guard must submit a current statement of service.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions