Where Do You Report Telephone Scams Targeting the Elderly?


Quick Answer

Telephone scams targeting the elderly should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission, according to the FTC. To submit a report, navigate to FTC.gov, hover over the "I Would Like To..." tab and choose "Submit a Consumer Complaint to the FTC" from the list.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Scammers rely on high-pressure tactics, including limited offers or fast-approaching deadlines, to elicit compliance from their victims, notes the FTC. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it's time to exercise caution. Also, if the call is regarding a supposed debt or business from a government agency, ask for written verification, before agreeing to anything.

In general, it is never a good idea to disclose personal information, such as Social Security numbers or financial information, to unknown parties, states the FTC. This is especially true in the case of phone calls that were not initiated by the individual who is being targeted.

Learn more about Law Enforcement

Related Questions