Where Do You Report a Stolen Social Security Card?


Quick Answer

Report a stolen Social Security card to the local police immediately. The Social Security Administration does not investigate the loss or theft of Social Security cards.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Fraudulent loans or bank accounts acquired through the use of a stolen SSN are investigated by the Federal Trade Commission. A victim of identity theft must prove that his number has been stolen, and that he is suffering significant ongoing harm. He can acquire a new Social Security number or a replacement card for free by applying in person at his local SSA office and providing proof of his age, citizenship or immigration status, and his identity.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions