Where Do You Report a Stolen Birth Certificate?

When a birth certificate is stolen, the owner should report the theft to the police, then notify the major credit reporting agencies, such as Equifax, Trans Union and Experian, according to the Identity Theft Resource Center. When the theft is reported right after it occurs, the chances of preventing repeated future identity theft issues are much greater and law enforcement is more likely to recover the original document.

When contacting the police, the owner should file an official report and mention any other items that might have been stolen, the ITRC recommends. Check on the status of the police report over time to see if progress has been made in the case.

When contacting credit reporting agencies, the theft victim can receive both a credit report and a fraud report, the ITRC notes. Should the victim fall prey to identity theft again in the future, he or she will be notified right away.

If the stolen birth certificate cannot be recovered and the theft victim needs another one, he or she can request a replacement through the state in which they reside. The Centers for Disease Control website offers an online directory for all 50 states. Each listing details the proper procedure to apply for a new birth certificate in that specific state.