How Do You Register a U.S. Department of Transportation Number?


Quick Answer

To register a U.S. Department of Transportation number, go to FMCSA.DOT.gov. Click Registration, Getting Started, Complete Online, and then click the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Online Registration System. Choose from six registration options, depending on your circumstances.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

On FMCSA.DOT.gov you can initiate a new or additional registration, continue an existing registration, update an existing registration, update registration information and de-register, or inform the FMCSA that you are no longer in business.

Select New or Additional Registration to register a USDOT number. On the following page, enter the USDOT number, the prefix, docket, the USDOT number PIN and the docket number PIN. You also need your employer ID number.

Select the type of business and the value that corresponds to its location. For motor carriers, select the type of operation, such as for-hire, for-hire with exempt commodities or private. Select the maximum extent of U.S. operations, such as interstate, intrastate, within a commercial zone only or other.

Declare whether your vehicle carries hazardous materials. Select all of the safety permit materials you carry. Select the types of vehicles you operate and the maximum extent to which you transport hazardous materials. The process in full is available on FMCSA.DOT.gov.

You can also reapply for and register a new USDOT number after revocation, under I Need to Update.

Learn more about US Government

Related Questions