How Do You Qualify for International Fuel Tax Agreement?


Quick Answer

As of 2015, drivers qualify for International Fuel Tax Agreement licenses if they operate their qualified motor vehicles in at least two states in the United States or Canadian provinces that are members of the International Fuel Tax Agreement, according to the California Board of Equalization. Vehicles designed or used to transport property or people can qualify if they have at least three axles, or have two axles and a registered gross vehicle or gross vehicle weight exceeding 13 tons.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Motor vehicles can qualify for International Fuel Tax Agreement licensing when operators use them in a combination that has a combined or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 13 tons, explains the California Board of Equalization. When vehicle operators use motor homes or other recreational vehicles solely for personal pleasure, the vehicles do not qualify motor under the International Fuel Tax Agreement. When vehicle operators use recreational vehicles in connection with business operations the vehicles can qualify under the IFTA.

Vehicle operators apply for IFTA licenses and decals for each qualified motor vehicle that they operate in more than one IFTA member jurisdiction, reports the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. Operators must submit their applications in their base jurisdictions. A base jurisdiction, for fleet licensing purposes, is the state in which an operator registers the qualified vehicle, and keeps or has access to the operational records. Some of the qualified motor vehicles in the fleet must travel within the base jurisdiction.

Learn more about Driving Laws

Related Questions