What Are Some Prison Statistics From 2014?


Quick Answer

As of July 2015, prison statistics from 2014 are not widely available. BJS.gov provides state and federal prison statistics, but the most recent prison information is from 2013. BOP.gov provides federal prison data, but inmate statistics are updated on a monthly basis only showing data for the previous month.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

The United States Bureau of Justice Statistics provides the most comprehensive prison statistics. Based on the release dates of previous reports, the prison statistics for 2014 will likely be available through BJS.gov at the end of 2015. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics' 2013 prison report, at the end of 2013 there were 1,574,700 people in prison in the United States. Three percent of black male residents were prison inmates in 2013, compared to 0.5 percent of white male residents.

The number of people admitted to state and federal prisons increased by 4 percent from 2012 to 2013. At the end of 2013, private prisons had 8 percent of the total prison inmates in the country. The Federal Bureau of Prisons' statistics, available on BOP.gov, show that as of May 30, 2015, 93.3 percent of federal prison inmates were male, while the other 6.7 percent were female, and almost half of inmates were in prison due to drug offenses.

Learn more about Public Records

Related Questions