With a name as a literal and fitting as the White House, it’s hard to imagine the U.S. president’s residence being called anything else. However, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue was originally known as the President’s Palace; the name usually appeared on early maps of the Washington, D.C. area.
In 1810, the official name of the residence was changed to the Executive Mansion so that there was no reminder of the British monarchy the American colonists had left. Despite its official title, some people simply referred to it as the President’s House. Because of the house’s white-gray exterior, many people informally called the building the White House long before Theodore Roosevelt officially adopted that name in 1901.
John Adams was the first president to live in the D.C.-based Executive Mansion, though George Washington actually chose the site on which the mansion was to be built.