What Are Some Organizations That Offer Emergency Temporary Housing?


Quick Answer

Emergency temporary housing is provided by Federal, State and local governments, as well as private and non-profit organizations. Eligibility for these programs is based on factors such as income, location and emergency type.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Those who have been displaced from their home due to a natural disaster or federally declared emergency may be eligible for emergency temporary housing assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA. FEMA provides financial assistance for both rental properties and temporary housing units.

Emergency temporary housing assistance is typically available for victims of domestic violence, children and those who are homeless or at risk for homelessness. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD, provides resources and referrals for those seeking temporary housing services through its website. HUD also gives funding to local governments and non-profit organizations who provide temporary shelter for families and individuals. A resource locator is available directly through the HUD website. This service provides links to local services across the United States that provide temporary housing units and financial assistance.

Many local non-profits and faith-based institutions offer emergency temporary housing and financial assistance. Lists of local shelters are available through county and state human services or welfare offices, online and through non-profit referral services.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions