How Do You Obtain Section 8 Housing Applications?


Quick Answer

An individual wishing to apply for a housing choice voucher, or Section 8, can do so at their local Public Housing Agency. The contact information for Public Housing Agencies can be found at Portal.HUD.gov by navigating through Program Offices to Public and Indian Housing to Public Housing Agency Contact Information.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To determine if an individual or family is qualified for a housing choice voucher, a local PHA uses the family's size and gross income to determine if they fall below the 50 percent mark of the median income of the county they wish to live in. This percentage may change in different areas. Aside from income, the agency also takes the family's assets, employer records and bank account information into consideration. Once accepted, the family is either assisted immediately or placed on a waiting list.

The housing choice voucher program, or Section 8, is funded by the federal government, particularly the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and operated by local PHA's. It is designed to help certain individuals, such as families with limited income, the elderly and the disabled, afford better housing. The beneficiary is able to select his own housing, townhouse or apartment, so long as it meets the program's requirements.

Learn more about Social Services

Related Questions