How Do You Obtain a Copy of a DD214?


Quick Answer

To obtain a copy of a DD214 form, request one from the National Archives online, by fax or by mail. The request must be signed by the veteran or the next-of-kin, and the process takes up to three to four weeks to complete. The DD214 form, or Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, is issued upon a U.S. military service member's retirement, separation or discharge from active-duty military.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

To apply for a free copy online, visit the National Archives website at Archives.gov. Click on the Veterans' Service Records tab, and then click the Request DD 214/Separation Document Online link in the Request Military Service Records box. Click Submit your request ONLINE with eVetRecs to begin the online application process. Click Submit your request by MAIL or FAX using the SF-180 form to access a form to fill out manually.

In order to apply for a DD214 form, you must provide the veteran’s complete name used while in service, her service number, social security number, branch of service, dates of service, and date and place of birth. If you are the next-of-kin, you must provide proof of death, which may include a copy of the death certificate, letter from the funeral home or a published obituary.

To receive a copy of a DD214 form more quickly, apply at AardvarkResearchGroup.com. For a fee, the company expedites DD214 requests, delivering a copy to your home within one to five days.

Learn more about Military

Related Questions