How do you obtain a free copy of DD-214 military discharge paperwork?


Quick Answer

Navigate to the Veterans Service Records page of the National Archives website where you can submit a request for free DD-214 paperwork either online, by mail or by fax, as of December 2015. Request the DD-241 online using the eVetRecs link, or click on the alternate link to get a SF-180 form to request a DD-241 by mail or fax. Using the online eVetRecs still requires an authorizing signature to be faxed or mailed.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

No fee is charged for a veteran or his next of kin to receive a DD-241 from federal records. If the DD-241 must be pulled from archived records, a fee may apply; in this case, the veteran is notified beforehand.

Any military veteran, or his next of kin if the veteran is deceased, can order a DD-241. Information required in the DD-241 request includes the veteran���s full name, service number, Social Security number and dates of service. Recommended additional information includes the reason for the request and any deadlines by which you need the DD-241. Emergency or urgent DD-241 requests may be accommodated if so indicated in the Comments section of the request, whether online or by using a SF-180 form.

The response time for a DD-241 varies, and about 92 percent of separation record requests get a response within 10 days. Depending on the situation, the request may take up to six months to complete.

Learn more about Military

Related Questions