Will a Notary Accept a Passport As Identification in California?


Quick Answer

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), notaries in California will accept United States passports and passport cards or a foreign passport that has a USCIS endorsement. As passports are government issued, they are considered a legal form of identification. However, the passport must be current to be accepted.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Foreign passports need to have a temporary I-551 stamp from the USCIS to be considered valid. These can be obtained from any USCIS office while waiting for a green card to be mailed. Possible alternate options for those holding foreign passports include a permanent resident card or alien registration receipt card. Residents of Canada and Mexico can simply use their driver's licenses from their home country as valid identification.

Learn more about Law

Related Questions