Do You Need a Permit to Take a Muzzleloader Into Canada?


Quick Answer

If the muzzleloader is an antique, then it is considered a non-restricted firearm under Canadian law and does not require a license or registration. Reproductions of percussion cap muzzleloading firearms, however, are considered firearms and not antiques, according to the Canada Border Services Agency, and a permit is therefore required.

Continue Reading
Related Videos

Full Answer

Non-residents who bring a reproduction firearm such as a muzzleloader into Canada must complete the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form and pay the required fee. This declaration must be made in writing at the point of entry into Canada. After the declaration is confirmed by a customs officer, it serves as a license for the owner and is valid for 60 days, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Learn more about Guns & Weapons Laws

Related Questions